Visit the Archives
Board of Trustees
Friends of LAGANZ
Rainbow Wellington evening at the Lesbian and Gay Archives
Visit the Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand Te Pūranga Takātapui o Aotearoa (LAGANZ} - the LGBTTIFQ community's archive with Rainbow Wellington
LAGANZ curator Linda Evans and Roger Swanson (a trustee) will introduce the Archives and present selected items from its collections. LAGANZ are excited to share and discuss with Rainbow Wellington colleagues the range of opportunities and challenges that we face in today's digital world. Linda and Roger will also briefly introduce the Topp Twins exhibition currently at National Library.
Meet Thursday 7 June 2018, 5.30pm at Aitken St entrance of National Library. We will have an hour at the Archives and then will adjourn to the Backbencher nearby at 6.30pm to continue the discussion and mixing with LAGANZ colleagues. Snacks will be provided, you will need to buy your own drinks. Please RSVP to email@example.com
- Queer History Month: Queer History in the Making: A Show and Tell Community Event (12 September2015)
- Book Launch - Perfectly Natural: The Audacious Story of Iris Florence Peter Williams by Julie Glamuzina (29 October 2014)
- Talk - 'Portrayals of LGBT issues in New Zealand political cartoons, 2004-2014' by Valerie Love (30 April 2014)
- 2014 Queer History Month - Speakers Mani Mitchell & Mark Hutchins Pond (24 September 2014)
- 2013 Queer History Month - Tours of Archives New Zealand (10, 28 September 2013)
- Wellington 2011, 2nd Asia Pacific Outgames Human Rights Conference (16 - 18 March 2011)
- An Afternoon at the Archives (28 November 2012)
- Wellington Queer History Walks (28 February, 1 March 2009; 23 & 24 January 2010) - Hugh Young and Alison Laurie began their Queer Walks as part of the Devotion, the annual queer festival in Wellington during the 1990s, including a Parade and a Dance Party. Though Devotion faded from the scene (and is today part of our queer history’), the Walks were revived for Pride 09. There is a programme from a Devotion tour available on queerhistory.net.nz
Monthly LGBTI walk tours in the Wellington CBD are now offered by Walk Tours NZ
- 20 Years Out - Homosexual Law Reform Conference (1 & 2 December 2006), National Library, Wellington
- What Are You Afraid Of? Photographic Exhibition - LAGANZ organised, with David Hindley, a photographic exhibition celebrating the 20th anniversary of the homosexual law reform bill. It was shown in Wellington, Aucklend and Christchurch.
- Out Takes 2006 (2 June 2006) - Drinks and nibbles for Friends of LAGANZ at the Out Takes 2006: A Reel Queer Film Festival screening of Susan Stryker's documentary Screaming Queens: The Riot At Compton's Cafeteria.
- Outlines: Lesbian and gay histories of Aotearoa (15 December 2005) - Launch event in Wellington of the 'Outlines' book which included some papers from the Outlines conference held in 2003.
- Out Takes 2005 (11 June 2005) - Screening of The Hidden History of Homosexual Australia.
- Out Takes 2004 Wellington screening of No Secret Anymore!: The Times Of Del Martin & Phyllis Lyon (6 June 2004) -
- Screening of documentary film Formerly Known As James Mack (21 September 2003) - A benefit screening for LAGANZ of Marian Evans' documentary film about Galvan Macnamara (Formerly Known As James Mack, later issued as Sister Galvan) which was part of the Women's Film Festival (18 - 21 September) coinciding with the 110th anniversary of women's suffrage in New Zealand. There is more information here, and links to videoclips on youtube in an article on the wellywoodwoman blog.
- Outlines Conference: Lesbian and Gay History in New Zealand (15 - 16 February 2003)
- Outlines: Lesbian and Gay Liberation in the 1970s Exhibition (November 2002 - March 2003)
Last updated: 15/8/2018
Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand (LAGANZ)
PO Box 11-695, Manners Street, Wellington
Alexander Turnbull Library, 58-78 Molesworth Street
Tel: +64 4 474 3000
Fax: +64 4 474 3063